Day 4: Hot!

Happy Labor Day everyone! I think everyone and his brother and sister were out in their cars today, sadly, even on my empty back roads. I think I will remember next year to give Labor Day a pass for purposes of bike riding.

Fortunately, I don't think I was still on the road by the time when most of the drinking had started (not me, the drivers).

It was also hot and humid, which I always seem to forget makes the ride harder. Ironically, yesterday was in some ways easier, notwithstanding the rain, the late start and longer distance, because it was cool. Still, I'm not sure that staying cool by getting soaked is a trade-off I would always want to make.

The real story for today was last night's dinner. I had deliberately planned a stop in New Haven so I could have dinner at a specific restaurant. No, not Sally's or Frankie Pepe Pizza (always good bets), but September in Bangkok. As it sounds, this is a Thai restaurant, and it is delicious! But what makes it special, is that it was opened and is owned and run by a friend, Wyn, who I know from his bartending days in New York at Thai Market. I spent many a night eating at the bar there and being served by Wyn and talking about his life (ok, sometimes mine too). And, as is my wont, I also helped him (or tried to, at least) with a legal issue he was having, so that added to our bond. 

He was always dreaming big and wanted to open his own restaurant, but unlike so many of us who find reasons not to act on a dream, he actually went out and made his happen.

And he did not do it small time either. The restaurant seats 200(!), has one of the largest outdoor plazas in New Haven (which he leased before the pandemic in an amazing bit of foresight and/or luck), and has been ranked by Yelp as one of the top 100 places to eat in the US (# 61 if you must know). And it is booming and bustling, especially with the return of the all the Yalies in person.

Wyn joined me at the bar, brought out several dishes for me to try (on top of the two appetizers I had already ordered), opened a beautiful bottle of Italian red (on top of the IPA I had already ordered - and drunk), and then comped the meal. Thank you, Wyn! 

Although maybe all the food and imbibing was not the best preparation for today's ride? Nah, I'm sticking with my story that it was the heat.


Wyn capped off the evening by driving me back to my hotel himself, while taking a circuitous route to show me some of the Yale architecture and New Haven sights he has grown to love. So much so, that he has also just bought his first home here (which I promised to see next trip).

So, although that was the highlight, I cannot end this post without a link to today's ride and, just because, a photo of the same.


One more day and I'm home!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Back to the Big Apple

Day 3: The Coastal Route was a lovely Surprise

Day 1 was Sweet!