Day 2: Lots of Bike Paths

Today was about the shortest day I'll have on this journey - 45 miles to get to the ferry, plus another 4 on Block Island to get to Tom's house -which was a good thing given how tired I still was from yesterday. It allowed a nice late sleep-in until 9:00 before leaving.

Leaving Providence was really no better than leaving Boston. In the first 5 minutes one driver cut sharply in front of me to grab a parking spot, forcing me to brake hard, and barely a few minutes later a truck tried to door me. Hah! I was ready for him. No watch stress alert this time, I guess I'm getting accustomed to it.

Once out of the city, I got straight on the Washington secondary line bike trail, which ran for 12 miles and was paved throughout. A lovely way to start the day. And then for the most part, with a few ugly connectors in between, I was on lovely Rhode Island back roads for the whole day. My ride was capped off by a final 10 mile stretch on the Tip O'Neill bike path, which took me within a couple of miles of the ferry.

As will surprise no one who knows me, my timing was overly conservative and I got to the ferry quite early (almost an hour and a half to spare). But my justification is one never knows what's going to happen on the road: getting lost (I did briefly) or a flat tire (fortunately, not) can wreak havoc with timing.

Oh well, all's well that ends well, and it gave me time to put together this post.

Early Halloween decoration on the road?

 Here's a link to today's ride. And, again, a photo for those who don't want to click through.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: Back to the Big Apple

Day 3: The Coastal Route was a lovely Surprise

Day 1 was Sweet!